When you pick a broccoli veggie at the grocery store, you may think that the plant’s head is made of leaves. But that is not right.
Broccoli heads are made of small flowers arranged in a canopy and do not contain leaves.
As shown in the picture below, broccoli leaves are found in the main plant itself and not the fruit (broccoli).
It is these leaves, together with the main stems and roots that support the broccoli veggie.
Their leaves are similar to that of collard greens.
Previously, we made it clear that horsefield tortoises can eat broccoli sparingly and occasionally.
See here: Can Horsefield Tortoises Eat Bougainvillea?
What about the broccoli leaves themselves?
Can horsefield tortoises consume broccoli leaves as part of their diet?
Broccoli leaves are not veggies or true leafy greens. Instead, they are the plant’s leaves.
Because of this, we recommend feeding horsefield tortoises broccoli leaves occasionally.
Once a month is okay.
Can Horsefield Tortoises Eat Broccoli Leaves?
Yes, horsefield tortoises can eat broccoli leaves in small quantities and occasionally.
Read More: Can Horsefield Tortoises Eat Boston Lettuce?
When preparing your horsefield tortoise diet, you can mix broccoli leaves with collards greens, chard, cabbage, and kale.
This will give it a unique flavor that your horsefield tortoises will love.
What Do Horsefield Tortoises Eat And What Is Recommended?
The primary diet of horsefield tortoises is green leaves or veggies. Though they can eat flowers, and fruits of plants.
It is said that 80% of their diet should consist of leafy green veggies and the remaining 20% fruits.
Some of the recommended sources of green veggies are alfalfa, tofu, mustard greens, sprouts, bean sprouts, beet greens, cabbage, turnip, and broccoli.